Friday, July 27, 2012

Acccckk! The pressure to be cool...

alas...

...does not diminish when we get older.

Seriously.

How is an old Grandma like me supposed to keep up with all the hand signals the 'cool' kids use?

Growing up we only knew one hand signal.

And it was the one that would get us grounded if we ever used it around our parents.

I'm certain you know the one to which I am referring.

However...

This week I started school shopping with Grandlittles.

The middle girl got to go first this year.

We went to the mall.

After trying on 23 pairs of shorts that looked EXACTLY alike (Seriously.  How can they even tell the difference?), we finally ended up at the $5 photo booth.

We took three silly pictures and on the fourth and final picture, my Grandlittle said, 'Grandma! Call me! Call me!" and held up her fingers in a 'call me' hand signal.

I thought I did pretty good.



Apparently, at least according to Riley... I did not!

She and her sisters had an uproarious laugh over my botched 'call me' hand signal.

I was quick with an explanation, though.   I told them my hand signal was the latest and coolest one and it meant 'call me OR text me OR IM me!' but they didn't buy it.

They didn't buy it in the slightest.

Geez.

Trying to be a  cool Grandma is so exhausting.

And hey, if you want to call me OR text me or IM me to discuss it...

...just use the new hand signal.

Okay?

Sigh...
post signature

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always had trouble getting my signals right.

Terra said...

I give you a great big giant A for effort! Seriously, after shopping with a preteen...how can you possibly be prepared to learn new hand signals?

Theresa said...

I think you girls are too cute:) It is tough for us OLD gals to keep up with the youngstas! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Carol said...

LOL! I think you are the coolest J!!

Unknown said...

Always a delight to read your posts, Jenny!
:)
Blessings,
Catherine

Jeanie said...

At least you middle little knows what sign to look for now if you signal her to call you.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I give up trying to be cool and figure out all the latest! Of course as my Grand gets older I may have to try to be cool again....not easy is it!

Pondside said...

I'm signaling - can you see me?
Thank heavens the boys are still too young to care that I'm not cool. Perhaps by the time they're older they'll think I'm sweetly old and amusing - that would be good too!....and perhaps a little eccentric.

anitamombanita said...

cute cute...photo booths are still fun...and hey, one of the few things that WE did and that kids today get...try records, tape cassettes, film, etc etc etc...get my drift? :)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I don't even try anymore. My youngest is 13 months and he's already cooler than I am....

yikes!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Actually, I'd settle for eccentric and maybe a little kooky at this point...

Ms. A said...

It was MY MOM that used that (bad) hand signal, in front of one of my classmates, in the middle of Penny's! Can you believe that? I was mortified! It got back to the school and everyone thought my Mom was cool. MY MOM!

Judie said...

I'm pretty good with hand signals, but not that particular "call me" one. It's that "other" one I am good with, especially in traffic when some truck with those huge tires, the metal actually vibrating from the ear piercing music playing, and a drive who is actually bouncing to the beat tries to cut me off. Then I am great with hand signals, and word signals as well.

Annesphamily said...

Aw...you are cool! WE old grammies have our own brand of coolness! Love the photos!

Have you seen the Olympic swim team video? I LOVE that song! I know that is where all the kids got that hand signal!

I have learned to put the tall man finger into a graceful prayer as I drive! A good friend taught me that on the highway once when all the crazies were passing her! She told me to fold my middle finger up in prayer! I do it all the time now!

Pat Tillett said...

No matter how "cool" we once may have been, according to our collective grand kids, I'm pretty sure none of us is still described that way. Oh well...
I'm also sorry to say, that it was my mother who usually used the hand single that got you in trouble.

Susan Anderson said...

haha

I think you are the coolest grandma ever!

=)

Moore Minutes said...

LOL ....yes Jenny, you better work on that "cool" CALL ME hand signal. ;) That's cute!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I'm laughing. Your hand signal looks good to me. Fun post! laurie