Sunday, June 27, 2010

Saturday Centus - What goes around...

This post is linked Saturday Centus - A 100 word story based on a prompt. The prompt is in bold below.
*********************************************************************************
Before I share my SC I have something to say. I have three children. And two step children. And three grandchildren. And one daughter-in-law, and two son-in-laws, and two sisters, and my parents and a weiner dog. ALL OF WHOM DON'T LISTEN TO ME!

And now some of you are on that list, too. Sigh.

The reason I ask that you don't split the prompt and that you use 100 words or less is so we are all on a level playing field with our stories. And so that what you write is driven by only the words of the prompt. It is an exercise in writing discipline...not an exercise in stretching the rules. If you want to split the prompt and write 178 1/2 words with the prompt, be my guest, but just don't link your story to the meme.

Please.

And now I will resume my regularly scheduled niceness!

**********************************************************************************

WEEK 8 PROMPT (contributed by Jeff...thank you!)

"Did you notice Elizabeth in class this morning and how forlorn she seemed?" Perhaps I will write her a comforting note, I thought.


My take on the prompt:

Did you notice Elizabeth in class this morning and how forlorn she seemed?" Perhaps I will write her a comforting note, I thought.

And then I quickly talked myself out of that dumb idea.

After all, what was the big deal.

Lots of kids parents got divorced. And they didn't mope around all day.

"Yea," I decided, "Elizabeth needs to just suck it up."

And all thoughts of her left my mind as I went through my day.

Things were quiet at the dinner table at home.

When my Mom and Dad told us kids they had something to tell us I never, ever expected them to say "Kids, we're sorry to tell you but we are getting a divorce."

Click here to read the rest of the posts linked to Saturday Centus Week 8.

post signature

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! You've built such a sense of dread from the very beginning, that when it accumulates at the end, it creates a very powerful piece.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, my goodness! I have a feeling I know where that went! The "g" word as in "guilt." Good job!

And I have to laugh at: "And now I will resume my regularly scheduled niceness!"

Only you can correct the class, get them to obey, and get a laugh all at the same time!

Happy Sunday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Terra said...

Jenny Jenny - this one struck a chord. Well done. I am going to refrain from comment but I know you know why!

That said, I thought I saw a post hit the reader for this prompt that took a totally different direction and I LOVED that one so much...I really had chills...does it still exist? Or did I dream it?

Kat said...

This was great Jenny. The last line really sucker punched me. And your frustration is duly noted :) I've been going cross eyed counting words to make sure I don't go over 100. I've been putting the words count at the end of each line, and then this week I posted with the stupid numbers! Luckily I caught and corrected it before anyone commented, I hate feeling like a total dork. Kat

Tina said...

Great Centus. Another case of karma? Me thinks perhaps...

cj Schlottman said...

Jenny

A cruel irony, this, and you express it so well. Kids can be so smug. I do admire your talent. Thanks.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Jenny--Very nice...irony...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Viki said...

I liked the other one as well. I was wondering why it wasn't showing up here. I guess you decided to change it. I like the change where she finds out her parents are getting a divorce.

I'm such a rule follower lol, I went back and counted my centus just to make sure I had under 100. I hope continuing my story isn't breaking the rules but I don't think so ;-0

Koby said...

I too once broke the rules :-( I posted a picture. I'm more careful now.

I'd also like to tell you Ms Jenny that you must have the most wonderful followers!!!! They visit and say the nicest things about the 100 word stories.

I'm off to leave some comments too..

Thanks again for all the fun...

mrs. c said...

I wonder how many children are sitting right now listening to this" for real". So sad that children must face so many tough situations. Great post.

Tgoette said...

Great story Jenny! An ending with a twist, huh? I'll have to try that. LOL!

I think you are right to chastise those who refuse to follow the rules but post to the meme anyway as if they had. I would hate to think I chopped all those babies for naught!

You go girl!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

And the moral to the story is "Instant karma's gonna get you."

Excellent!!!

Bookie said...

Realistic in every way...divorce is a slam, a hurt, a hurdle...there is more to come in this story....

jeff campbell said...

Instant Karma gonna getcha...well played Jenny...Peace and blessings

Cheryl said...

I guessed I missed out by not seeing the First Edition. Oh my.

Instant karma, indeed.

Tina said...

oh dear jenny am i one of the baddies this week? lol

I split the sentances in two is that what you mean?, or you mean people have been using two different stories by splitting it!!?

slap my hand if i did wrong and i wont do it again miss! ;)