Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Week 10 of Red Writings 12 weeks of Christmas!

OK, this week we are supposed to write about Christmas parties! But I haven't given any yet or even gone to any.

I wonder if it's my poor table manners?

Hopefully there will still be a party or two in my immediate future but I'm gonna have to cheat a bit here and go backwards in time to share two of my favorite party ideas with you. Gotta warn ya, though, there are lots 'o pictures so you might want to get comfy.

The first is a graham cracker house making party. Hey, we're lazy and gingerbread can be really hard to work with! We found out, though, that graham crackers (get the cheapest ones) can be heated in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then they become soft enough you can use a serrated knife to cut the roof angles without breaking them.






This other little party idea is a progressive dinner party we have with a small group of Master Gardener friends. We're supposed to decorate our table with things from our gardens and since roses and citrus are so plentiful in December that's what I used. I think it turned out quite pretty.


And those are my two party ideas!

If you want to read about other parties check out Red Writings McLinkey for this event by clicking anywhere on this long, dragged out sentence!

And the drawing for the lemons will be mid-afternoon tomorrow. My little name drawer is at pre-school until 1:30 tomorrow but I'll have everything ready for her when she comes home!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

i love the graham cracker houses! that looks like a great idea for a fun thing to do with the kids...i'm adding graham crackers and candy to my shopping list for tomorrow!

thanks!

Jen said...

Jenny, I love the graham cracker house! I never knew that trick about putting them in the microwave, thanks! I am going to have to add this to my "to do" list! Love the pics, that is exactly how parties should be!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Very pretty table and fun to think back to those fun times with friends. I was talking about company parties that we used to go to and my son said :you went to Christmas parties?" I guess we need to go out a little more--while he is in school-

Cheri

Its So Very Cheri said...

Sorry I didn't get my surprise up yet-I've been working like crazy all day to finalize it all. I have one more call to make in the morning and then if I get all the info I need I can post it.

Cheri

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

You ran the spectrum from cute and fun with the houses, to lovely with the tablescape.

Thanks for the tip on heating the graham crackers prior to cutting the angles!

Holly said...

Just finished with a ladies progressive dinner last night. Of course I hosted the dessert house.

We haven't made graham cracker gingerbread houses in a long time but the microwave tip I'll have to use next time. Loved the photos of the creative candy houses. I was impressed by the creativity. Needless to say our buildings ran more toward barns and barnyards when we did it a few years ago.

laterg8r said...

love those graham cracker houses - great idea :D

Suz said...

your table piece was very pretty
Looks like you had fun making houses

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Love the graham cracker houses! And your holiday table is festive and WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for your visit and for sharing! Hugs, Coralie

Katie said...

The graham cracker party sounds great, usually it's the kids making them and why should they have all the fun!